The annual Atlantic Stakeholder Platform Conference is the central hub for stakeholders of the Atlantic Strategy to meet, seek ways of cooperation, share information and identify funding and financial opportunities and partnerships for their projects and business. It offers a great transnational publicity opportunity to deliver the Atlantic Action Plan key messages and further promote awareness of its achievements.
The 5th edition of the conference was held in Vigo, Spain, on October 23-24, 2018. The conference focus was on actions to boost youth employment in the maritime domain and it gathered political leaders, maritime clusters, enterprises, academic institutions, funding donors and investors from all across the Atlantic seaboard. More specifically, this year’s conference focused on how to pursue a career in the maritime sector, how to obtain the necessary skills and embrace innovation without negatively affecting employment in the Atlantic area, while at the same time emphasising present opportunities for project development relevant to the Atlantic strategy and to the objectives of the Atlantic Action Plan.
During the conference, the Atlantic Project Awards winners were announced. The EBB project was the winner in the “Atlantic Marine and Coastal Environment” Category. These Awards are designed to honour outstanding success stories, achieved by projects in the geographical area covered by the Atlantic Strategy that showcase relevance to the implementation of the Atlantic Action Plan. They promote individual winners but at the same time highlight the incorporation and scaling up of best practices at regional, national, European and international level.
Agenda of the event.
The Business2Sea – Sea Forum of 2018 will take place from November 14 to 16 at the Alfandega Porto Congress Centre, Porto. The 8th edition of the event will be dedicated to the main theme ‘2030 Sea Challenges‘ and it is organised by Fórum Oceano in collaboration with Fundação CETMAR, Centro Tecnológico do Mar, located in Galiza.
The event will encompass a diversified programme that includes:
– A Conference commemorating the National Day of the Sea in Portugal, with the participation of international experts and representatives of European and national public authorities;
– A set of seminars and thematic workshops to be held in parallel, focusing on topics such as Nautical Tourism, Marine Resources, Marine Technologies, Employment and Training, Marine Industries, Marine Energies, Ports and Maritime Transport, Sustainability of the Marine Ecosystems, Cross-border and Atlantic Cooperation and Oceans Literacy.
– A programme of International Business Meetings (B2B);
– A programme of Pitches – “Curtas de Mar” dedicated to short presentation of projects and initiatives in the area of the economy of the Sea;
– A showcase of marine products and technologies;
– Moments for networking and for tasting of products of the Sea.
More information and provisional programme at: http://www.forumoceano.pt/p185-business2sea-sea-forum-2018-en
The Sea Tech Week is an international event dedicated to marine sciences and technology, happening every two years in Brest. This year, Pôle Mer Bretagne Atlantique and EMBRC-Fr have come together to work on the organisation of a session dedicated to the access to marine biological resources so-called “Bioresources: unlocking and accessing the potential of the marine environment”, on Tuesday October 9th 2018.
Marine bioresources are at the heart of economic activities in the maritime regions, providing the food we eat, the air we breathe, and to an increasing extent new products and a new frontier to explore in terms of biotechnological advances. Brittany and the surrounding regions have a wealth of expertise and projects valorising biological resources from the sea and continue to drive and innovate the biotech sector. This one-day session gave a flavour of what Brittany has to offer of activities related to marine bioresources in public-private partnerships, industrial R&D, and fundamental research, and how to access the marine ecosystems, its biological resources and related expertise through the international network of research infrastructures present in Brittany
After a welcome speech by Justine Pittera (PMBA) and Nicolas Pade, the session was organized around four major themes:
– Mapping of innovation based on marine biological resources in Brittany and Pays de Loire: emphasis on the main actors (academic and private), trends in the marine bioresources used, etc.
– Biodiversity observation and trends in biotechnology
– Research infrastructures : advanced tools to support fundamental and applied research in marine biology
– How can RI have a role to play in the synergies between fundamental and applied research in order to reinforce the relationship and foster innovation ? This discussion took place under a round table format.
During the third slot dedicated to RIs, Nicolas Pade presented EMBRC-ERIC with a special emphasis on the activity of EMBRC-Fr. UVigo has also participated in this session, with Cristina Secades as speaker, presenting the EBB project: “EMBRC Blue Biobank project: how to facilitate access to marine biological resources“; describing the scope and objectives of the project, presenting the expected outcomes for academic and private researchers.
CIIMAR is organising the international conference BLUEandGREEN Legacy – Adding value to Marine Bioresources, with the participation of key international speakers in the field of Marine Biotechnology, Bioeconomics and Circular Economy. Intending to understand the national landscape of blue biotechnology, BLUEandGREEN Conference will be an important step in the construction of the National Roadmap for Marine Biotechnology.
We would be honored by your presence on October 1st 2018, at CIIMAR headquarters (Porto Cruise Terminal).
Being BUEandGREEN Conference organised back to back with BioMarine, you can have a discount in the BioMarine registration. We will also have a bus that departs from CIIMAR, on the morning of the 2nd of October to BioMarine.
Conference website: http://blueandgreen.ciimar.up.pt/legacy-conference/